Sunday, July 20, 2008

Families are Forever


Friday morning I was taking the metro rail home from the children's museum when my outlook on the day changed pretty drastically. A young family, mom, dad, three small children, boarded the train at the medical center stop. The father was holding a little girl about four years old who was obviously very ill. The whole family was very subdued and just sat in silence the entire ride. I then noticed that in the fathers hand was a pamphlet entitled, "What is Cancer". My heart just sunk. Tears came to my eyes as I thought about the difficult road this family is on and what could possibly be ahead for them. I know that modern medicine does amazing things but that life is also very fragile. The possibility of losing a young child would be devastating and especially so without the understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ that teaches that this life isn't the end. There IS more and families CAN be together forever. Watching this little family reaffirmed the deep gratitude I have for my testimony of this important principle. I wanted so badly to share my beliefs with them but I wasn't sure how. They got off at my stop and just before my apartment, I paused and talked with them for a moment. I gave them a card and invited them to call the number on the card to learn more about the importance of families. I finished my walk home feeling glad that I'd done something but still felt somewhat inadequate to what was truly needed. I just hope and pray that they are able to eventually find the comfort and peace that comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ.

6 comments:

Cnbztribe said...

Very good, Lynette! You never know what touches people and that family is probably calling that number right now. We hope. You were probably put in that train car at that very moment for a reason. I got chills when I read that. Good work! You're awesome!

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Touching story! Sounds like you are enjoying TX (if you follow the two rules!) Your kids are getting so big!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you actually had a pass along card on you. That just shows me that I always need to be prepared. You're a good person and a great example.
Thank you for sharing that story.

Jen Petty said...

Way to go Lynette. THanks for your example! Your story definitely makes me grateful for my life and what I have.

Makelle said...

Wow, I seriously just teared up! I love hearing stories like this---that you had the courage to listen to the spirit. You never know what blessing you were and are in their life. That is awesome--good job Lynette!

Dave and Becky said...

Lynette, how great that they got off at your stop! What a brave thing to do, although it sounds silly that it would take courage to share something so wonderful. Good for you for having a pass-along card. Always prepared! Thanks for being a great example and for blogging about it to inspire us all to do better and be reminded of the important things.