Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Grandma's Legacy

I just have to share my major accomplishment tonight- I finished my Grandma's Life History. A year ago I began this project with a bagful of tape recordings of her life story to transcribe. Some of the tapes were quite old- in fact on one of the tapes my baby babblings can be heard. Anyway, I got all the tapes transcribed then pulled all the transcriptions together into a cohesive story. It was a labor of love that filled many nights (thanks to my patient husband). I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn so much about my grandma's life. She is one amazing woman! She endured the depression as an immigrant family from Hungary, met my grandpa during World War II, (he proposed in a letter after two dates), learned about the Mormon church and got baptized, drove for the first time in Los Angeles, raised 5 children, oh I could go on about the adventures of her life. She is 84 now so I'm not sure how much longer I'll get to visit with her. What a blessing it is to have a legacy of love to have before me.

4 comments:

Dave and Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave and Becky said...

Wow, what a wonderful thing to do, for her as well as for your children who might not get to know and remember her as you do. And all in your spare time too... hee hee. :) You are amazing.
~Becky

Joy said...

That is so cool. I wish I would have had the opportunity to that with any of my grandparents. That's fantastic. How are you guys doing?

Jen Petty said...

You are amazing! What a great project and one that will be enjoyed for a long time. Way to go! We miss you guys!