Thursday, June 19, 2008

Being a mom

"Remember dear friends, that you are now doing the work that God intended you to do. Be grateful for the opportunity." Marjorie Hinckley

I've thought about that quote a lot recently because of the veracity of that statement. I truly feel that being a mother right now is the best thing I could be doing. I have been much more content with life than I did when I was focused on a career. It's a personal thing of course, but for me this is where my heart is. It's been especially nice to have my own home to look after again. I actually am enjoying the domestic side of staying home these days but I especially love playing with my kids. There are rough moments and not so rosy days, but overall it's great. Sierra is 2 1/2 and in the last two weeks since we moved to Houston, three new molars made their appearance. The teething and allergies triggered some bad asthma that is finally under control- yipee! I love having my happy imaginative child back. Gideon is almost 9 months and is now rolling over and starting to crawl. He is getting his first tooth so the teething rounds begin again. He is a sensitive boy but also very playful. A huge thunderstorm came through today and he was just mesmerized by the wind, rain and thundering skies. I thought it would frighten him but he just sat in front of the window and took it all in.
We live across the street from the light rail so we take the train often to the library, museums and to visit Craig at work. Gideon does great for about 15 minutes every time, then he just loses it. Sierra on the other hand loves riding the train and talking to all the people who get off and on. I enjoy not having to worry about parking, driving on roads with crazies and paying a ridiculous amount of money for gas. We did use the car to take a little road trip last weekend and drove to Austin (3 hour drive) to visit my brother and Craig's brother. Grandma Forbush was also in town to help with the the new baby Craig's brother's wife had. Sierra couldn't get enough of being with her Grandma. It was wonderful to be around family again.
Happy Father's Day!
Gideon and his new cousin Owen, just 5 days old.

My brother has two little girls that Sierra loved playing with- they are all such little princesses.

5 comments:

Jen Petty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Webster Family said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well...and that the Culberson's will be joining you soon! How exciting!! AND boy, what cute kids your two are!!

Jen Petty said...

Love Gideon's face with his cousin! Elia would have so much fun playing princess with Sierra! Such cute girls! I am looking forward to taking care of my own home again too... not that I'll be any better at it now, but I like to hope that living with my in-laws will make me feel more appreciative for my own space!

Momma Malia said...

so fun. even though we're not yet moving to houston, when we do we can't wait to hang out with you guys!! and we're planning on coming out for a week every month so we don't miss clint too much!!

Hannah Stevenson said...

I loved this post Lynette. I know what you mean about finally being at peace in the role of "mom". Are those Josh's girls? I'm guessing the little baby is Suzanne and Brent's?